Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Change versus Complacency





"When there's drama I miss being bored, and when I'm bored, I miss the drama".


Let's face it, when it comes to friendships, relationships and just life in general, us humans are such strange creatures. I suppose one of the things that make us different from animals are the way in which our behavior with our own species differ, from our four-legged friends.


Life is an uncontrollable free-fall into the unknown- we all can account for that.


But why do we sometimes fight against it, and only sometimes embrace it. I suppose one can't look at it in black and white, but i've been wondering...

Are one of the factors that make us human our indecisiveness? Some might put it down to free-will, and argue that animals react on instinct, and us on free-will. And I do agree with that, but certainly, instinct is the impulse for an animal to react accordingly. But one rarely sees an animal walk up to the watering hole, put it's head down to start drinking, and then on-the-spot, changes it's mind and decides "nah, not now" like we humans do- ok, ok, unless there's an attack or something from a predator.

I understand that's who we are, I'm just wondering why. I also suppose that it is actually a rhetorical question, but that doesn't change the fact that the question still exists...

Another thing I'm pondering, is what governs our descisions to sometimes embrace both change AND complacency, and other times fight against it?

Sometimes we love change, and for the most part agree that any change, is actually good in the long-term, because that's how we grow. But then why do we fight it? The easy answer is fear of the unknown, which is understandable...

That fear may exist, but becasue we all know that only death, taxes and Madonna are the only certainties in life, why do we still try to prevent change?

I think the answer lies in our dreams. Not the kind you have when you sleep, but the way we would like to see ourselves, our personal perceptions, which are, let's face it, subjective. We always see potential in our friends, partners etc. but then also depend on others to validate us firstly, and then to see our potentail, so we can develop it-with or without their help.

I like change-but I also like striving for normality and stability within that construct. We know nothing is certain, but then isn't that constant in itself. It's very post-modern I know, but knowing that life is ever-changing is a certain anyway. I say, let life happen!

It might be scary, hurtful, or anger-provoking, but It'll happen. Only you can control it, but also know that your control is limited because if the universe wants you to go a certain direction, you can only fight it for so long- until life finds a way. Go with the flow, and though you might not always know where you're flowing to, the point is you're flowing-so go!!!

1 comment:

  1. Interesting blog mister - and good to have you back!

    Yep, I think it's fear and disbelief that hold us back. Disbelief that we deserve things to be different... so we settle for what we have... not that settling is a bad thing...

    I learnt long time ago to believe that whatever happens, everything will still be fine. I have yet to be proved wrong...

    ReplyDelete